Wednesday, August 18, 2010

teen din aur!

My last week in India is already half way over, but it felt like a long time before the middle of the week arrived. Yesterday and today we did two rounds of final exams. Yesterday's tests were on reading and listening comprehension in which we read and listened to stories then answered SAT-style multiple-choice questions about them. Today 's tests were in grammar and literature which required hours of hand-cramp inducing writing. Having back-to-back days of back-to-back tests was rather brutal, but I actually still get a little "look, Mom! No hands!" kind of thrill every time I form a complete sentence in Hindi, so in spite of the exhaustion, I felt pretty pleased after the last hour of essay writing.

Unfortunately, the hard part is not yet over. Tomorrow we have to give our final oral presentations. I picked yoga as my topic, that way if I really start to butcher my Hindi I can just try to claim to be speaking Sanskrit.

In preparation for my return home I conducted an experiment in which I tried to get all of my belongings into my suitcase. The experiment was a failure. For this reason, I returned to the bazaar yesterday seeking a second, smaller suitcase for my extra stuff. At the saamaan dukaan (suitcase store) the shopkeeper kept bringing out nice-looking options as I kept demanding, "No. Smaller. Cheaper." Finally he showed me a little puke-green duffel bag for 200 rupees ($4) which won me over, in spite of it's very obvious structural flaws, because on the side, in black embroidery it reads "exquise," which is not a word (I checked).

So now, if you'll exquise me, I have a presentation to practice and a little green bag to pack.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck on your exams. If you pass, will they give you a job? If you fail, will you get to go back next summer to try again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how I am going to miss the cultureclashtastic blog........but can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is not right! Exquise is a word. It means an old flame whose no longer in the picture!

    As in, he's my exquise

    Puleez!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm...funny how your Dad would know what that means!

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Katie is correct--exquise does not, and has not ever, in the 600 odd years of modern English usage, existed. Although, for interested parties, "exquised" was used in a 1521 English ballad to mean "next," as in "The exquised time I see Katie she will be holding her exquise bag on the curbside at LAX."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Geoff may have been trying to make a bad joke about "my ex-squeeze"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes yes. I just thought it would be funny to have the opportunity to drag out the OED :D

    ReplyDelete