Saturday, June 19, 2010

the bizarre and the bazaar

Even the most disorganized American is used to a certain level of planning, orderliness, and efficiency--a standard that can make India a strange place to adjust to. Here, whatever happens happens and planning is typically a futile effort. Like yesterday when, after a hot day outside, I was looking forward to an air-conditioned nap and the electricity went out...making it a very sweaty nap instead. Or this morning, when midway through my shower, my water simply disappeared. Or when I had finally finished unpacking and moving into my room at the Gem and our program director suddenly announced, "oh by the way, the Gem is being used to host a huge wedding party so could you please all pack up so we can move you to a different hotel for a few days?" This is a great country to come to if you want to become a very flexible, patient person.

Another test of patience that somewhat inevitable in India is the infamous "Delhi Belly," an explosive kind of upset-stomach that only the most delicious curries can inspire. I found myself exploring the capabilities of my own digestive system yesterday, but I appear to be on the mend.
This is not to say I have not thoroughly been enjoying everything given to me to eat in the past week. The other day I ate a life-changing mango, I also ate fresh lychees for the first time, and yesterday I finally got my hands on my favorite Indian snack, chole bathure, a huge baloon of fried bread served with super-spicy chick peas. yum.
Yesterday, I also finally got into the old city section of Jaipur. We took an elementary school style field trip to Bapu Bazaar (pictured at the top), one of Jaipur's most famous attractions. It is a huge outdoor market with several city blocks of pink covered walkways under which you can find just about anything you might want to buy (if you're willing to get into a serious bargaining battle with the shopkeepers). I didn't buy anything this time, but when I warm up my haggling skills a little more, I'm sure find an opportunity to go back to buy all of your souvenirs.

2 comments:

  1. Some of those shoes appear to have been designed with YOU in mind. Pink, sequined, pointy toes! Perfect for someone who drives a Yaris with pink hubcaps! All for only a pocketful of rupees!

    I'll bet all those motorbikes lined up outside the bazaar come equipped with really efficient mufflers and emission control devices.

    Maybe you should have listened a little more closely to you pharmacist's suggestions as to what meds to pack in your bags.

    Is living with a family no longer in the works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so that third photo, is that a lychee?

    cute shoes.

    ReplyDelete